Not just with being an entrepreneur, but we all have good days and bad days. We also all have good habits and bad habits. It’s only natural. Some days you feel like you’re on top of the world and others where it seems the world is coming down all around you. These are the days when you may be tempted to just throw in the towel.
You have to go through situations and days like these in order to come to the conclusion that you need to make some positive changes in your life. On these “give up” days, the decisions you make can impact the direction of your life. You are faced with the decision of holding or changing course. These 5 habits will help you get through it:
- Remember Your “Why”: It can be quite easy to lose site of the big picture you’ve created for yourself in grinding every day. If you feel like giving up, try reconnecting with the reason why you started doing what you’re doing. It could be financial freedom, living a healthier lifestyle and providing for your family. There are a number of possibilities for doing what you’re doing. Be sure to write down your reason on a piece of paper and when moments of giving up start to creep up on you, grab that piece of paper and remind yourself of your “why”.
- Realistic Expectations: Make sure to keep any expectations you have realistic. By allowing yourself to listen to people around you with no experience that provide great and lofty goals will only lead you to mistakes or failures. Listen to people who have already gone where you’re heading. Listen to the people who know what works. They will help to keep you in line and know that you will stumble and fall along the way. But these people can tell you how long your journey may realistically take and what you can fully expect.
- Back to Basics or Change: There are times when I get stuck in a rut or perhaps experience a rough patch that lasts longer than usual. I’ve found these two tools have been helpful in getting me through them:
- Course Correction: Sometimes it has been helpful to modify the course I’m on ever so slightly. Examine how you currently do things, what results are they producing, and compare it to how others have done things. Be honest with yourself and admit that there may be one or two things that you’re doing that just aren’t working. Replace those with alternate processes and see if that produces better results.
- Reconnect with Basics: It can be easy to feel overwhelmed by all the information that exists regarding the changes you can make. That can lead to being confused and attempting to do too many things. In these situations, it will be helpful for you to simplify. Focus on one or two things you have learned that are the basic fundamentals.
- It Will Get Worse Before It Gets Better: You’ve probably heard this bit of advice before but it bears repeating. When things appear to be at the lowest point with business, relationships or just life in general, something will usually happen. This may probably happen because when you’re at these low points, you force yourself to change something in how you did things. It could also be because life seems to have a way of balancing itself out. If you keep taking action instead of giving up and doing nothing then something good will happen. Doing nothing results in nothing!
- It’s Just One Day: When you’re having a bad day, say to yourself: It’s just one day, it’s just for today. By telling yourself that this low point is only for today, you will see the benefits that the period you’re investing in is not going to be for the rest of your life. Treat it like a day off work and give yourself some time. Everyone can use a little recharge day and as you do this, the burden you may have felt will begin to drift away.
After all of this, guess what? When the sun rises tomorrow, you’ll probably have a good day again and feel less resistance. You will be back on track and most likely feel like pursuing your entrepreneurial dream again.
I hope you found immense value in my article on 5 Habits To Help If You Feel Like Giving Up If so, I think you’ll really like my recent article on The Goal Setting Roadmap For Entrepreneurs!